Whether you're a frequent baker, a bride to be, or a professional cake designer, you know that using fondant can make for beautiful cakes. It is often a misconception that covering a cake in fondant can hide imperfections. But fondant can actually be very fragile to work with. So we've decided to put together some tips and tricks to assist you with the process!
After baking a cake, you'll be ready to decorate your creation with the following steps:
1) Make sure the fondant cake foundation does not have any bumps or lumps. Also, make sure that the cake is standing upright and is not lopsided.
2) Use buttercream to smooth out the surface of the cake before covering it in fondant. Don't worry too much about covering up the "crumb coat" that may occur.
3) After you smooth out the surface of the cake with buttercream, it will be time to roll out the fondant. To make sure the fondant does not stick to the surface before you roll it, you will need to sprinkle it with corn starch. Corn starch will not affect the thickness or the taste of the cake.
4) Make sure that the fondant is rolled out between 1/4 and 1/8th inch thick. When the perfect thickness is reached, place the fondant over the cake. Use a rolling pin to assist you in covering the cake.
5) Remove or cut excess fondant.
Once you have covered your cake in fondant, some corn starch stains may appear. Our Jiffy Steamer ESTEAM handheld steamer can take care of this problem. Make sure that you refrigerate the cake for a couple of hours beforehand. Then, you can start steaming! The process for steaming the sides of the cake and the top of the cake differ:
1) For the sides of the cake, hold the steamer about eight inches away from the cake while slowly turning it on a rotating cake stand. Once that part is complete, you will need to steam the top of the cake.
2) Do not aim the steamer directly at the top of the cake. For this part, place a piece of cardboard or a piece of foam at a 45-degree angle above it. Aim the steam at the piece of cardboard or foam so that the heat trickles down onto the cake.
After you are finished steaming, remember to store your cake in a cool environment. Enjoy!